My apologies to Andra over at http://andrawatkins.com/.  She’s been writing a series on the worst things about being married to an architect.  It got me to thinking about being married to a trucker.  I decided to come up with a list of some of the BEST things about being married to a trucker. Here’s the first one.

Truckers are big-hearted.  Maybe it’s just my guy, but one thing I witnessed him doing recently really touched my heart.

As most of you know, I have to pick him up every weekend.  A few weekends ago, he had me meet him at the yard (where they park the trucks and where the company’s office is located). We dealt with his paycheck, and then he had me follow him back to where we live (approximately an hour away from the yard).  He sometimes parks the truck a few miles from our house at a truck stop.

To get home, we passed through a couple of small towns.  As we went up the main drag of one of the small towns, I was right behind him.  He suddenly gave a couple of blasts on the truck’s horn. I thought it was unusual for him to do that in a town and I wondered if there was something in front of him or if he was trying to signal me somehow.

I looked to the left and noticed a young man, obviously severely disabled, sitting in a wheelchair on a front lawn outside one of the houses.  He was so delighted to hear the truck’s horn and to get a “hello” from a trucker.  He was waving and gesturing back as he grinned from ear to ear.

When I asked Hubby about it later, he told me that the young man is usually out there, and he always says “hi” to him.  He seemed to think it was no big deal, but it touched me that he’d make someone’s day like that, especially when it was someone that most folks would ignore because they were uncomfortable with the disability and would not stop to see the person inside.

19 thoughts on “The Best Things About Being Married to a Trucker #1

1. Winding road says:

very sweet especially since he thinks its just no big deal 🙂

Thanks. He’s a good guy.

2. Danny James says:

Now that’s a nice story!

DJ

Thanks. He’s a nice guy.

3. He would probably think this ridiculous, but this brought tears to my eyes. How beautiful to make someone’s day like he has consistently. Please tell your hubby I said, “Well done!” The world needs more small gestures like this….the ones no one else sees and rarely get thanked for.

Have a great Friday, Donna!! xoxo

Thanks, Skye. I had a huge lump in my throat when I saw how pleased the young man was. I’m not sure I would even have noticed him if Eric hadn’t honked at him. I felt humbled.

1. It is a lovely story. I was so glad you shared it. 🙂

4. Great story. Gotta love that guy.

I do. He’s a special man.

5. Cee Neuner says:

Truckers are amazing people for the most part and so kind too. I’ve had great fun and protection from them. My mothers side of the family were all truckers and my fathers side I had railroad engineers. So I’m definitely in for the long haul. I do love the open road.

He really enjoys it. I’m more of a homebody.

6. PookyH says:

I wish I could like this post more than once. I love the idea of sharing all those things you most love about your husband (will he read this, I hope so?) and I also think your husband sounds like a marvellous man and I adore the story you shared here. It really warmed my heart. You clearly found yourself a good’un!

Thanks, Pooky. That he is, and yes, he did read it. He sees my posts through Facebook.

1. PookyH says:

What did he think?

I hope he was deeply touched. I was and it wasn’t even about me 😉

7. Your hubby sounds so sweet and thoughtful!

(paws up and purrs to him)!

Shrimp

He loves cats, too (an added bonus).

1. Well then, tell him he has a new furiend!!

8. My grandfather wa a trucker. This post made my eyes hurt a bit. I miss him. I look forward to following your blog. I like your style. 🙂 Blessings!

Thank you! Truckers are wonderful guys, that’s for sure.