Here is my response to Ese’s Weekly Shoot & Quote Challenge – Memories – http://esengasvoice.wordpress.com/2013/12/08/eses-weekly-shoot-quote-challenge-memories/.

First is a photo of my Mother’s lighted hanging angel display (they are all different colors) and then several photos of her handmade ornaments.  The ornaments made it from her Christmas tree to mine some 30-40 years later.  The birds are not handmade, but they are all from her tree, too.  My memories of Christmas are deeply entwined with memories of my Mother.  She made every Christmas magical to a shy, young girl.

“Christmas is the keeping-place for memories of our innocence.”
~ Joan Mills

pink peacock

pink peacock

red cardinal

red cardinal

16 thoughts on “Ese’s Weekly Shoot & Quote Challenge – Memories

1. Green Embers says:

That’s really cool! I love the snoopy and woodstock ones (love everything snoopy really, lol)

My Mom was a great lady. I am so glad she made me take a bunch of her ornaments the first Christmas after I got married. She’s been gone 8 years now. I miss her a lot.

2. PookyH says:

I used to mock my mother in law because decorating her tree took hours as every bauble had a story. This year I found myself, whilst decorating our tree, excitedly telling Lyra ‘and this is the bauble Mummy and Daddy bought when we went to Canada and granny spent the whole time searching for bears and this is one we got when…..”

Clearly I’m turning into my mother in law!

LOL. I can remember my Mom making all these ornaments. I remember making some of them with her. I have so many happy memories and I am so glad I have the ornaments.

1. PookyH says:

What precious memories!

3. mamacormier says:

A few years ago some of my ornaments found new homes when my daughters moved out and set up their own homes. Now when I visit it’s nice to see some of my handmade ornaments on their trees.

That’s lovely. I hope one day my boys (or daughter-in-laws) will want some of mine.

4. babsje says:

These are wonderful, with such a lovely warm feeling, and your post brought back memories for me, too. My mother always had bird ornaments on the tree, the favorite was a red cardinal, somewhat similar to yours. Lovely, thanks for posting this.

Thank you. I look at my tree and see my Mom. I cry every year, but they are good (and happy) tears.

1. babsje says:

You’re welcome. Happy tears are the best.

5. Ese' s Voice says:

Beautiful and precious memories – thank you very much for sharing them!

6. Heartafire says:

got to love that little red cardinal!

He’s a very old little red cardinal. He’s very special to me. 🙂