It was a squirrel jamboree

At last count there were forty-three

They were everywhere this morning

They all dropped in without warning

There was Sera and her Aunt Sue

I saw Myrtle and her son Lou

Sandy jumped up onto the roof

Uncle Frank did cartwheels, the goof

They dug up nuts down by the road

They carried off the entire load!

Albert and Larry ate the most

It’s really not like them to boast

They ate and then they ate some more

I need to restock the nut store!

The blue jay just tried to get some

The squirrels chased, but she’s not dumb

Fast as a flash, she got her nut

She flew with a blue jay-like strut

Lost count of the handfuls I tossed

Nut after nut hit the ground’s frost

It’s cold out! They need what they find

Feeding friends – I really don’t mind

1-1byroadIMG_0799IMG_08041-1SeraIMG_0809IMG_08211-1withcardinalIMG_0825IMG_08351-1withjay

12 thoughts on “Squirrel Jamboree

1. Charlotte says:

Too funny. We had a trio the other day. One black, one brown, one gray. I threw out some old apples the other day and the gray (aka Wally) took all three. Two he hid and one he stowed in a tree. The the next day I there out some more and one he put on the post by the patio door. Didn’t really mean to rhyme.

We had a bunch of apples stowed in the dead tree out front, courtesy of the squirrels. I’m surprised they never sprouted into a new tree! That’s how I got that huge sunflower last season – the squirrel. They are so entertaining to watch. I could sit there all day and watch their antics.

2. Green Embers says:

Hahaha, great poem. I was almost dancing over here and imagining all the squirrels hopping around too. 😀

They were great fun to watch, but not so easy to photograph! They were all over the place, having a high old time – chasing one another, dashing around, burying things and eating like little pigs. Very cute. The pictures are all from this morning – two different cameras (my iPhone and my Canon).

1. Green Embers says:

Sounds like they are all excited about the new year. How fun! 🙂

3. Morgan says:

A Beautiful Way to Start the New Year 🙂

Thanks, Morgan. It seemed fitting. 🙂

4. (* chatters* / * tail swish ) PRAISE THE LORD!! MY PURRAYERS ARE ANSWERED!!

Shrimp

LOL. I thought you’d like that one, Shrimp.

5. digitalgranny says:

I really like this and the shots are the squirrels are great. I bet they keep you entertained all year long.

They sure do. I could spend all day watching them.