A Sensitive Subject

I’ve always had stomach issues. At fifty-eight, I should have had my first colonoscopy years ago. After all, one of the hallmarks of turning the big 5-0 is scheduling your colonoscopy screen. The doctors harass you about it every time you see them. I put mine off, not wanting to face the prep part of the procedure. 
The past few months my digestion has gradually gotten worse. I’ve had more and more problems, and nothing worked to fix them. On August 16th I ended up at the emergency department of one of the local hospitals. I went in at 11 pm and didn’t walk back out again until 5:30 am the next day. They did blood work, took specimens, and gave me morphine for the pain. The doctor thought it was infectious in nature, but it wasn’t. The tests all came back negative. 

My primary care doctor is on maternity leave so I followed up with the gastroenterologist earlier this week, and I bit the bullet and scheduled my colonoscopy for August 25th, the first opening they had, that very same week. 

I was terrified of the prep, but I have to confess it wasn’t bad. After the hospital visit, I was on a liquid diet. Then I gradually added in light items (puddings, Jellos, popsicles, crackers, white rice, grits, baked chicken breast). The day before prep day I went back to an all liquid diet (black coffee, gatorade, apple juice, bouillon, jello). I couldn’t have anything red or purple.

On prep day I woke at 4:15 am, and I was starving. Knowing I couldn’t have any solid food for another thirty-six hours was a little disheartening, but I was positive I could do it. I had planned to work until 3:00 that day and having something to keep me busy and occupied was good. 

I got home around 3:15 and had time to do a few things before I had to start the prep at 5:00. My prep was a medication called Suprep, and it was a split dose (two-day) regimen. 

On day one, you take the first six-ounce bottle of medicine and mix it with ten ounces of cold water to make a sixteen-ounce drink. Then you have to drink two more sixteen-ounce cups of plain water over the next hour. My doctor recommended I drink the first eight ounces, wait twenty minutes and drink the rest. It was also suggested I use a straw.

The worst part about the Suprep is the taste. It had a bad, fake fruit smell, and it tasted like liquified, children’s vitamins. It was hard to gag it down. I drank half at 5:00, waited twenty minutes and drank the rest. I also polished off the extra thirty-two ounces of water. I sloshed when I walked, and my stomach had begun to make ominous noises. 

By 5:30, the prep had begun to work. It didn’t hurt. I was fairly empty to start so the first part of the prep took just over three hours to run through me. For the first ninety minutes, I couldn’t leave the bathroom. It wasn’t horrible, just nonstop. My cat, Ginny, was worried about me. She stood outside the bathroom door, crying. 

I left the bathroom for good around 9:00 and finished the evening watching Frasier on Netflix. I went to bed at 11:00 and actually slept well. I got up at 5:20 and took my usual morning blood pressure medicines. I had water and apple juice. I went back to bed until 6:45 and then got up to feed the cat and do a few household chores before starting my second prep at 7:30. 

The second prep ran through me in just over two hours. I even took a power nap before I got up and dressed at noon. My son drove me to the gastroenterologist at 12:30. 

The nurses were great. I got into a gown, they put in an IV, and I got comfy in a hospital bed, covered by a blanket. My procedure was scheduled for 1:30. By 1:26, I was wheeled into the procedure room. The nurse gave me the conscious sedation medicine, told me I was going to feel dizzy, close my eyes, and try to go to sleep. 

I was for all intents and purposes asleep, but I could hear the doctor and the nurse talking the entire time. Unless I was hallucinating, they talked about someone the nurse was dating and dating experiences in high school. Towards the end, I did feel a slight pinch of pain in my belly, and I said, “Ow!” twice, but that’s all I remembered from the procedure.

I was awake as soon as I was back in recovery, but I wanted to stay asleep. And all that nonsense the comedians feed you about colonoscopies and gas and excessive farting? It’s just that – nonsense. Unless their experience involved being pumped full of air to visualize the colon and mine didn’t, I had no gas at all, and I heard only people’s voices talking around me. No one in recovery was passing gas.

The good news is that the doctor didn’t find anything bad. I have diverticulosis. The bad news is that he doesn’t think that is causing the problems I’m having. I now have to have another upper endoscopy (I had one four years ago). I go for that on Monday. I also will be scheduled for a CT scan of my small intestine. When we’re done, the doctor will have images of my entire digestive tract. 

I wanted to share my experience so that anyone afraid of this screening will understand that it’s not as bad as you think it will be. I feel much relief that after years of IBS and excessive endometriosis that my most worrisome area is in better condition than I expected it to be. Now if we could just figure out why it’s been acting up lately, we’d be all set. 

14 thoughts on “A Sensitive Subject

  1. Just had a colonoscopy this past Thurs.. The prep was called Prepoplex, the day before liquids only, nothing red or purple and, no dairy, prep day not bad, liquids. Test day, they put me to sleep, twenty minutes later the test was complete and I was awake. One very small polyp removed. I am a survivor of colon cancer. In 1983 I had half my colon removed. I am now 74 and never take life for-granted. Have a great weekend. ☺☺☺

    Liked by 3 people

  2. Not knowing is always the worst part. I just had a colonoscopy last month. The hardest is the prep and not eating. The colonoscopy itself is easy. I get mine done every five years as my mother had colon cancer, twice. I hate the prep! LOL Glad things were ok. I do hope they find what is wrong. I’ve been having stomach problems myself. My doctor says I have developed ‘sensitivites’ to certain foods because of my diabetes. I stay away from those food and I’m ok. Of course getting old is not for sissies either. I’m 62. 🙂

    Liked by 2 people

    1. Getting older definitely isn’t easy, is it? They still think I have gluten issues since one son has celiac disease and the other had eosinophilic esophagitis. I had the upper scope four years ago and blood work for the gluten allergy this week. It was negative. The doctor won’t be satisfied until he looks again.


  3. I’ve got a little ways to go before I hit the magic age, but I’d already had to endure the prep once. It was ordered prior to an IVP (X-ray with dye to check for kidney stones…. yes, your crap can get in the way!) I had in 2003. That stuff in the bottle is beyond nasty…

    Hope all goes well with your other tests and finding the issue…

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.