My beautiful girl, Ginger, passed over the rainbow bridge today. She had bladder cancer. She was 15. We had her twelve years. When we adopted her in 2007, she was crabby and cantankerous and lashed out at everybody. My hubby worked hard to make her the sweet, loving baby she became. I miss her so much already.

Saying goodbye to pets is always horrible. Unexpectedly, my wonderful hubby was there with me. The timing worked out in my favor. His big truck went in for repair midweek, and he was at the dispatch terminal forty-five minutes away. He is truly a wonderful man. He drove home to be at the vet with me and my youngest son when we took Ginger in. That meant so much to me. Not only was he a strong shoulder to lean on, but he was there to help me decide what to do. Letting the cat go wasn’t a decision I had to make alone.

Ginger was just as much my husband’s cat as mine. When we got her she was terrified and she was not a nice cat. He was the only one who never gave up on her. He’d pick her up over and over, she’d snarl and lash out. He’d talk to her and hold her and pet her. He was the one who broke through her fear and distrust. He held her as she died. I thought that was fitting.

She was always on my lap in my chair or by my side in bed. When healthy she topped out at seven and a half pounds. For such a tiny cat, she had a big, bold personality. She didn’t back down from anything. She was also sweet and gentle underneath her grumpy exterior. For such a tiny cat, she’s sure left a big, empty space behind her.

I miss you, beautiful friend.

20 thoughts on “Goodbye, Ginger

1. quiall says:

I am so very sorry for all of you. May Ginger rest sweetly in your heart and in your memories.

1. Thanks, Pam. This is so hard.

1. quiall says:

One day at a time Donna. Ginger will never leave you but the pain ease in time. I still grieve mine. They have been gone for many years but are still with me.

2. I know that, and she’s the sixth one I’ve lost in my adult life. I don’t remember the others hurting like this, though, even though she replaced the cat (Raymond) that I always said was my soulmate. He followed me everywhere, right on my heels. She followed me, but she was always stealthy and pretended she wasn’t. She was uniquely her. I know time will help the pain, and tomorrow will hurt a little less than today. Thanks, Pam.

2. I’m so sorry. It’s always terribly hard to lose a part of the family. It sounds like she had a rough start but what a loving home she spent most of life in.

1. Thanks, Sherrie. She was a stray with an unknown background who became a much loved, faithful friend. I miss her so much.

3. I’m so sorry, Donna. Losing a pet just sucks, and it’s in the back of my mind now that both of my cats are about to hit the 10 year mark. Comforting thoughts to you and your family, and wishing Ginger safe travels across the Bridge…

1. Thank you. She was my baby girl. It is so very hard without her, but I know time will dull that pain.

4. deborahkehoe says:

I’m so sorry for your loss! I know my fur babies are sucha big part of my family and losing one leaves a hole in your life. I’m glad your husband was in town to help you get through this! For you and him!

1. Thanks, Deb. It’s like losing a child. I miss her so much. This is awful. I’ve done it before, yes, but I don’t remember it hurting like this.

1. deborahkehoe says:

I am so sorry! Hang in there, only time can heal that pain.

5. zannyro says:

I’m so sorry, I know what it’s like to lose a beloved family pet. I miss my little loves so much. God bless.

6. Hi Donna. It’s so tough losing a beloved cat to cancer. We had a similar experience just two weeks ago, and we’re still reeling from it: https://normalhappenings.com/2019/04/22/saying-goodbye-to-ezri/. I just wanted to send my sympathies.

1. Thank you. I’m sorry for your loss, too.

7. rainyrendezvous says:

I’m so sorry for your loss. It’s been 4 months since I lost my sweet baby and the pain hasn’t subsided. I hope things get better for you soon.

1. Thank you. I’m sorry for your loss, too. It’s never easy to say goodbye.

8. Candace says:

I’m so sorry. My best cat ever, Google, died on April 22 when I made the decision to not let him suffer. But I can’t get over missing him. It takes a long time when they’re such an important part of our lives.

1. I’m sorry for your loss, Candace. Ginger’s been gone six weeks today. I don’t think I have ever been this lost losing a pet. All my other pets were either close to each other or to my husband or my boys. Ginger didn’t like other cats so she spent all of her time with me. She was my husband’s cat and when he started truck driving nine years ago she switched her focus to me. I have cried more over her than I thought possible. I will be adopting new kitties, but I don’t know if I’ll ever get that close to one again. It’s so hard.

9. Reblogged this on By the Mighty Mumford and commented: